Welcome to the Mad House!

Hey everybody. If you have found this, I hope you told your friends where you were going so they know where to tell the cops to look for you.

My name is Zac, aka "Spanner Murraan", the Maverick Mando Mechanic. This is the Garage, a place to showcase some of my work. Feel free to pull up a stool, pop open a cold one, and join me!-

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Journey Begins!


Well, as some of you know, I have begun the long, and arduous task of building an Astromech Droid.  The Droid I will be building is one of my own Custom Creations, centered around the R2 Series Astromech.  Like so:

My Droid will be known as R3-xB (or Exbee).  My goal is build Exbee as a static display, over the course of two years or less, for $500 or less in parts.  Once Exbee is completed to my liking, then I will begin collecting the parts for automation and Radio Control (RC).  I have an initial design for Exbee that is a little different from most of the Astromech Droids you are used to :


Exbee will have a clear dome, which I ordered today, for $36.28(shipping included).  It is an older style Aspects Super-dome squirrel guard that goes over a bird feeder:
I also went to Michaels and bought an 18" wooden floral ring for under $4.  This will become the foundations of my droid's dome.  The Aspects dome is 2" shorter than the screen-used dome, but roughly the same diameter.  I plan to shim the dome up a bit but I will save that for another post.

2 comments:

  1. Nice start, I remember that clear Dome, Can't wait to see some progress pics,won't be long and you'll be working on your frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zac, good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing some of your updates.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete