Welcome to the Mad House!

Hey everybody. If you have found this, I hope you told your friends where you were going so they know where to tell the cops to look for you.

My name is Zac, aka "Spanner Murraan", the Maverick Mando Mechanic. This is the Garage, a place to showcase some of my work. Feel free to pull up a stool, pop open a cold one, and join me!-

Friday, October 22, 2010

Dome

 I received my dome yesterday and couldn't wait to tear into that bad boy. 


Now, this dome isn't movie spec, but it can be made close with some additional work that I will document here.    As I said, I couldn't wait to begin work, and got a little too ambitious for my own good.  Using a technique I have employed many times on my costumes, I used a liquid masking agent (in this case, Mustard) and painted, wiped the masking agent off, applied more, painted again.  Gives a very weathered, damaged look of chipping paint on something that has been painted over many times.  Trouble is, it would see some of my paint had gone bad after a summer in the Texas heat.  After the 4th coat, the paint began to crackle, split, and look like a mud pit after a drought. 

It took me an hour to carefully strip all the paint off (and there was a lot of paint) with a paper towel and a small bottle of Naptha.  I decided to stick a little closer to canon refferences and just do one layer on the R3 dome, with lots of scratches and paint chips.  The pie panels are painted and I have started inital weathering.


No comments:

Post a Comment